BASL is a multi-disciplinary society with around 950 members composed of interested individuals from clinical medicine, clinical and basic research and allied professions. Your Annual subscription is used to organise the Annual Meeting held each September. For further details of the meeting click here.
Members of BASL receive the following benefits:
- discounted registration rates for the annual meeting and other relevant meetings
- eligibility for the BASL Travel Awards (for members below status of Senior Lecturer or Consultant to allow presentation of high-quality UK liver research at International meetings, including the American Association for the Study of Liver Disease)
- eligibility for the prestigious Dame Sheila Sherlock Award (to an emerging researcher in the field of liver disease, for members below status of Senior Lecturer or consultant). Applications are usually submitted to the BASL Committee three months prior to the annual meeting - details are announced.
- Free event and job vacancy listings
- BASL Clinical Community: extended website service - providing quality content and interaction with other members, the Clinical Community is the new online communications hub for BASL. PLEASE NOTE the key services from the Clinical Communities site will be available again shortly when the new BASL website is launched.
Membership Rates Explained
BASL Membership covers membership to BASL and all of its special interest groups, BASLNF, BVHG and BLTG. Membership is not available to one specific group but the subscription rate you pay is determined by your job status. This is a change to the membership structure and was put in place at the start of the membership year 31 January 2015.
This allows all members free access to BASL and affiliate group meetings except for specific meetings where subsidised rates apply. Any chargeable meetings will have rates advertised.
The new rates are as follows:
|New Membership Category||2015 Rate||Applicable for:|
Medically qualified member
Medically qualified member in training (including Scientific Trainees)
|£45||SpRs, Scientific Trainees|
|Nurse/ Affiliate member
(Previously listed as BASLNF nurse membership)
|£20||Nurses, Transplant Co-ordinators, Pharmacists, Other Healthcare Professionals|
|Scientist member||£20||Scientists (not including Scientific Trainees)|
Selecting your Membership Category on the Application Form
There are many new website projects happening behind the scenes which include the introduction of a new paperless direct debit system to allow new members to join and pay online as well as delivering a new BASL website. Whilst we go through a short period of transition you will notice that the membership categories and rates that are displayed within the application form do not reflect the new structure above.
N.B. The rates on the application form are from 2014 and are no longer applicable.
Please select the category that most closely fits the category above and your medical/healthcare role. If you are in any doubt, please contact the Secretariat at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
IMPORTANT: Please read the information above 'Membership Rates Explained' and 'Selecting your Membership Category on the Application Form' before completing the application form.
To apply to become a BASL member:
Please complete and return the DD mandate to the Secretariat, by email or by post. Scanned copies of this form can now be accepted as we move away from the paper based mandate system that was in place and we are no longer required to send the original paper form to the bank.
Unfortunately cheques are not accepted by the Association.
Thank you for your interest and support for BASL.